Re: [uCsimm] Any PCB design software ... which is GNU or freeware.

From: Geoffrey Wossum (gpw0341@omega.uta.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 15:27:18 EDT

Don,

> I'm trying to design my own board for UcSimm.
> I'm looking for a PCB design program which is GNU or freeware.
>
> Any good recommendation?

Eagle (from www.cadsoft.de) has a freeware version available. The
freeware version has a few limitations, like only a double sided board and
a max size of 3.6" x 4", or something like that. We used it to design
several boards for our senior design project, including a double sided one
with the uCsimm, a PIC, several SOIC and SMT passives, and .1" headers
all over the place.

It includes a decent autorouter (no autorouter being particularly good).
The professional version is free of limitations, and it's reasonably
priced, somewhat cheaper than Orcad, I think.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org
Project AKO - http://rover1.uta.edu/~ako