[uCsimm] writing ethernet frames

From: Reynolds, Alfred (Alfred.Reynolds@dsto.defence.gov.au)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 21:33:54 EDT

I am currently getting a 16kbps stream off the serial port (in 56kbps
bursts) and putting it into ethernet frames and sending them on their merry
way (and vice vesa). After "fixing" the char driver so it didn't respond to
the magic numbers ( 0x3 , ..., look in drivers/char/68328serial.c I think,
in the rx_char part) things are dandy.
BUT, the poor little simm is going flat tack just bundling up the packets
and sending them. No smart processing or anything. I am reading the serial
port using the standard linux driver, and I am writing the ethernet frames
using the SOCK_PACKET socket type. I would like to make the uCsimm do a
little more processing, and surely reading some data and writing packets
can't be that hard.
Has any one implemented writing straight to the ethernet (dodging the linux
"stack")? Anyone got some hints on how to squeeze that little more out of
the simm? I have done the usual tricks for optimisation (minimising
memcpy's, select used, ...) but does anyone have any hints?