Re: [uCsimm] IDE interface?

From: Håvard Tørring (ht@neo.no)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 03:34:58 EDT

The upper 8 bits of the 16 bit data bus are only used for data transfers.
If you drop them you will simply end up with throwing away half of the disk
space by storing 256B per sector instead of 512B. For many applications
this would be just fine.

So you will end up by needing the following lines:
DD[7..0]
DA[2..0]
DIOW
DIOR
(RESET) - You could probably tie this to system reset.

I think CS[1..0] can be fixed to 0x02 for most apps. You won't need IORDY
if you are not going to run this at very high speeds. INTRQ, DMARQ, DMACK
are used for DMA and interrupt handling. It's nice, but you don't strictly
need them.

You should be able to do make a IDE interface with 13 i/o lines.

Havard

At 15:35 05.07.00 -0500, you wrote:

>I was actually looking at making an IDE interface the other night. The
>IDE spec/pinout I read said that it uses 16 I/O lines, however I read
>somewhere else that it's possible to do 8bit transfers with IDEwith only
>8 I/O lines, does anyone know any more about this? This would make
>sense since CF cards seem to only use 11 I/O lines.
>
>serge
>

>Hervé BOTERMAN wrote:

Håvard Tørring Norsk Elektro Optikk A/S
Dir. +47 67911142 Phone: +47 67974700