Re: [uCsimm] BusyBox?

From: Vladimir A. Gurevich (vgurevic@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 08:13:52 EDT

Hello Sebastian,

Yes, this method works and we use it in our project exactly the way
you've described. This is done on uClinux for M68EZ328, which does
"execute-in-place". uClinux for Coldfire does copy the .text
section from FLASH into DRAM, though. Also, take into account that
the restriction for 32KB .text and 64KB .data+.bss still holds unless
you use modified compilers discussed on this list, which are still not
a part of the "official" uClinux, AFAIK.

Happy hacking,
Vladimir

Sebastian Andersson wrote:

> Would busybox work well with uclinux?
>
> What I guess I really ask is, do multiple invocation of the same binary
> make them share memory for the text section? Do uClinux run programs
> directly from a flash memory (romfs file system), or is it copied to
> ram before it is executed (well, the data section would have to be
> copied of course).
>
> /Sebastian
>
> [ Busybox is a single binary that implements quite a lot of the normal
> unix commands. That way, one binary and a lot of symlinks can be used
> to implement most of the commands in /bin
> Busybox compiled for 386 with all commands, help and staticly linked
> against glibc2.1 is about 580k large. ]

                   |     :|:        :|:     | phone         408-525-9707
Vladimir Gurevich  |    :|||:      :|||:    | fax           408-527-1713
Software Engineer  | .:|||||||:..:|||||||:. |
    NUBU/DIAL      |      CiscoSystems      | e-mail  vgurevic@cisco.com
                   |  http://www.cisco.com  |