[uCsimm] What do you think of the uCSimm?

From: Craig Peacock (Craig.Peacock@beyondlogic.org)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 03:28:52 EDT

I'm evaluation a purchase of a uCSimm and are wondering what the general
perceptions are? Is it value for money? What is the documentation like?
I could go back to the archives when they first came out, but I'm
interested what they are like now that you have played with them for a
number of months.

I'm quite happy with the uCSimm Module itself. While its a fraction
expensive compared to the liking and features of other development kits
such as Axis's Etrax, I can understand the development work which has
gone into this, and that they only make these modules, whereas other
development kits made by the manufacturer is subsidized by the sale of
IC's. I'm also planing on embedding 68EZ328 into other devices, thus it
serves as a quick start development kit of a device (DragonBall) I can
easily obtain.

What has got me evaluating is both the CDROM and Gardener Board. The
CDROM is quite expensive at $30 ($50Aus) and any sales literature would
suggest it includes only the uClinux operating system and compiler tools
which can be downloaded from the ftp site. Considering the
volatile/dyanmic nature of the code, It would probably be out of date by
the time they ship it which means I would have to download it anyway. Is
there anything else on the CDROM which could be handy? Is is where a
little sales literature on the site would be good.

The other concern is the gardener board at $30 ($50AUS). I'm not quite
sure what is so expensive about this board (Maybe all the
holes/prototype area?), but I've got a batch of PCB's to go out to
manufacture and will probably design a gardener board myself, with some
terminal blocks/Relays/FETs as outputs and inputs. Maybe even RS-485 and
the like. Thanks to David for verifying that the uCSimm uses 140 mA.

Regards,

Craig Peacock