Re: [uCsimm] MP3's

From: Florian G. Pflug (fgp@solution-x.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 19:29:39 EDT

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 11:44:08PM +0100, root wrote:
> On Thu, 04 May 2000, you wrote:
> > > Going with a decoder chip would have been death in the long-term. When
> > > MPEG audio layer 4 takes over, hardwired decoder chip solutions will
> > > be obsolete.
> > >
> > > The Empeg is nominally consumer-oriented, an upgrade path to any digital
> > > music format that might become popular (whether defined by the MPEG
> > > consortium or otherwise) is needed.
> > >
> > > Such generality requires a programmable chip. Going with a Pentium-class
> > > CPU, and Linux is a good choice because by the time some new music
> > > format is popular enough to warrant an official upgrade, chances are
> > > that some hacker will have coded a player and released it GPL.
> >
> > True that.

But we _do_ use cd-roms, altough we know they will be replaced by dvds - but
a high-resolution optical scanner, with can scan a whole disk, and then gets
the contents by a lot of number crushing just would be a _bit_ too
expensive. But it maybe could also read dvds, and equipped with not only a
laser & photo diode, but some coil too, it maybe could also read zip disks.

just my $0.2

Florian Pflug