Re: [uCsimm] Power supply for uCsimm

From: Oguzhan Eris (eris@cooper.edu)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 14:20:29 EDT

On 7 May 2000 erik@calderasystems.com wrote:

> Before I plug this thing in, I want to know beyond the shadow of a doubt that
> pumping 4.5v into this is okay. This may seem obvious to seasoned embedded
> hackers, but some of us are just now starting. When I see one set of docs say
> this runs at 3.3v and the board says 4-6v, and there is no further explanation
> offered in documentation, the main web site, FAQs, etc., I get worried (why
> isn't that clearly documented? I can't be the only person who's ever wondered
> about this).

  Yes I also found the documentation to be very lacking in certain
aspects, It took me a while to get the root password "uClinux" and that
was through the mailing list. BUt back to your question. The uCsimm
gardner board has a voltage regulator that combined with the onboard
filtering does a good job at giving the uCsimm a clean 3.3V. So yes you
can and should plug in a 4-6V source into the ucSimm gardner board. If
unsure, plug the power in, and take a volt meter accross the power pins on
the uCsimm (can't remember off the top of my head, but look at the
schematic.)

Oguzhan Eris
The Cooper Union
4EE