[uCsimm] Power supply for uCsimm

From: erik@calderasystems.com
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 11:56:50 EDT

Okay, I've looked as much as I can look through non-searchable mail list
archives, I checked the documentation, I've searched the web, on and on. I'm
having a bear of a time finding an answer to this (rather simple) question.
You'll laugh when you read it...

I have my uCsimm and uCgardener all set up and ready to plug in. I see in the
manual that this puppy runs at 3.3v. The gardener board lists 4-6v (negative
pin, I believe) near the socket for the power supply's plug. Thinking that 4-6v
was a definitive range for power supplies, I purchased one that runs at 4.5v up
to 700mA.

Before I plug this thing in, I want to know beyond the shadow of a doubt that
pumping 4.5v into this is okay. This may seem obvious to seasoned embedded
hackers, but some of us are just now starting. When I see one set of docs say
this runs at 3.3v and the board says 4-6v, and there is no further explanation
offered in documentation, the main web site, FAQs, etc., I get worried (why
isn't that clearly documented? I can't be the only person who's ever wondered
about this).

Please, if anyone can enlighten me on this, I'd appreciate it. I'm very
comfortable with Linux (been using it for years), and software doesn't bug me,
but I"m new to this miniature hardware stuff.

E.