Re: [uCsimm] Hacking the Palm IIIe?

From: Micah Dowty (micah@homesoftware.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 01:47:01 EDT

On Sat, 6 May 2000, Tom Walsh wrote:

> Now I understand what the others on the list have been so hot about. If this
> thing were to become an "open source" / "open hardware" Linux PDA, we could have a
> real killer time dreaming up new ways to extend our PDAs. Now I am glad that I
> soldered the BDM wire to the MPU board, after I get a chance to check this thing out
> more I am going to try to offload the Palm O/S (back it up) and see if I can upload
> a program into it. The touch screen is the problem, I cannot find any data on the
> touch controller labeled 'BRADS 7843E" any place, I am hoping that it is a dedicated
> A/D type chip and by playing with the SPI I can get some meaningful data out of it.

Maybe a good place to start would be the source code to Xcopilot?
I know that they do a few little tricks specifically for PalmOS (like
looking for a magic number in the ROM) but it should show how the PalmOS
acesses the hardware, and if it works for them it should work for ucLinux
or a raw program.

Good luck hacking the new toy ;-)
The primary thing I use my Palm III for is keeping track of assignments
and notes for school. Summer vacation is coming soon, so maybe I'll take
a peek in mine (and poke at it a bit with various probes!)

Micah Dowty
www.homesoftware.com