Re: [uCsimm] MP3's

From: Micah Dowty (micah@homesoftware.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 01:19:33 EDT

Even though the ucSimm is a little on the steep ($$$) side for
mass-production of consumer gizmos, it's a good value for what it does.

The EZ328 itself looks pretty mass-producable though. A custom design
with no ethernet, less DRAM, more flash, and a DSP shouldn't be too
expensive with an EZ328.
The flash and the DSP would be needed on any MP3 system.
The other parts, CPU and DRAM, are there to power the OS, and in turn the
user interface.
You could pay $5 for a PIC that gives you a few buttons and an
alphanumeric LCD, or pay $10 + DRAM + other peripherals and get a device
capable of touchscreen interface, IrDA transfer, remote control from Mars,
etc...

I think the great advantages of using Linux to control an embedded system
are flexibility (in the UNIX tradition), code reuse, and multitasking.
I love the idea of simply cross-compiling an app designed for "big" linux
and see it run on a tiny chip.

I suppose it all boils down to whether you want to emphasize cost or
flexibility, because those are the two factors the consumers would care
about.

Micah Dowty
www.homesoftware.com