Re: [uCsimm] MP3's

From: Geoffrey Wossum (gpw0341@omega.uta.edu)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 20:34:24 EDT

> Going with a decoder chip would have been death in the long-term. When
> MPEG audio layer 4 takes over, hardwired decoder chip solutions will
> be obsolete.
>
> The Empeg is nominally consumer-oriented, an upgrade path to any digital
> music format that might become popular (whether defined by the MPEG
> consortium or otherwise) is needed.

Empeg is, what, $1000+? You could make a Micronas based MP3 player using
on a PIC/TINI/uCsimm for $100-300? Aiwa is coming out with a head unit
with integrated MP3 playback for $350 (or so) in the next month.

Consumers don't say "Oh my, this is a dead end path! It's not
upgradable!". They say, "That's too expensive." Don't fool yourself.

A product is a failure if it doesn't sell.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org
Project AKO - http://rover1.uta.edu/~ako