RE: [uCsimm] MP3's

From: Stu (doktor1@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 02:58:09 EDT

I disagree. I think it's a great platform. Think of how much easier it is to
develop for it - it runs Linux. Not everyone wants to write a GUI-enabled
playlist editor in assembly on a processor with two general-purpose
registers. :P

Seriously though, think of the Kiwi. The dude who's making it has already
designed a GUI ("Guwi") for it. I'm not saying you can't do anything like
that with a PIC. I'm just saying it's probably easier with something that
runs Linux, has a full-fledged C/C++/ASM compiler toolchain, LCD driver
functions, etc.

I will however agree that some people use too much muscle where something
smaller would be just fine. Example: the empeg car MP3 player. It uses a
Pentium-class CPU, when Micronas MP3 decoder chips cost $20-$25 _in
quantities of one_! Meanwhile, someone else has built a PIC-based MP3 player
that wraps around a hard drive. I'm not sure it has a display. It is
controlled through six buttons (fwd, back, prev, next, stop, play). I forget
what it's called though.

http://www.uClinux.com/