Re: [uCsimm] MP3's

From: Geoffrey Wossum (gpw0341@omega.uta.edu)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 02:13:42 EDT

> The 16.59MHz DragonBall is several orders of magnitude too slow to play
> mp3s. However, it is strong enough to stream the raw data to a Micronas MP3
> decoder. Our good friend Richard Klingler has designed an mp3 player and
> also released schematics.

I am actually of the opinion that the uCsimm is too powerful for merely
using it as Ethernet bridge for the Micronas chip. I'd use a Java TINI
for an Ethernet bridge, or a PIC chip (obviously one of the more powerful
ones) for IDE. Actually, I'm a huge fan of PIC chips. Hardly a day goes
by that I don't say, "You know, you could that with a PIC."

Although hooking the uCsimm up as an Ethernet MP3 player would be
interesting weekend project, it's just too powerful to be squandered on
this application.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org