Re: [uCsimm] MP3's

From: Micah Dowty (micah@homesoftware.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 18:39:17 EDT

MP3s would be nice, but I am curious to see how many have found a use for
the EZ328's sound. I had connected the PWM output (not of a ucSimm but of
my Kiwi) to a buffer chip to increase the current. The output from the
buffer chip connected through a 100uf capacitor (to remove the DC) to
headphones. It plays 32khz audio nicely, and I can fit a good portion of
a song in my 8MB DRAM uncompressed.

All this was 'bare metal' programming though, and I suppose the first step
would be making a /dev/dsp driver for the sound. I would enjoy doing this
but I need to research linux driver programming a bit.

After a driver is implemented, should be trivial to port sound apps.

Micah Dowty
www.homesoftware.com