RE: [uCsimm] USB

From: John Provos (johpro@rlws.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 11:53:22 EDT

The USB bus can be thought of as a master/slave system. Only the Host
controller
can setup the bus. This HOST CONTROL is implemented as a software stack
and is complex.
Windows and Linux have this stack built into it as does a few select real
time operating systems. The hardware part of this HOST CONTROL consists of
a specialized chip that
contains many control registers that are manipulated by the software stack.
 Transdimension makes a Host control chip for embedded designs and Lucent
makes for the
PCI world.

At 07:10 AM 5/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Andrew and Steve,
>
>I believe that Steve needs a USB 'host' function, rather than a USB
>'peripheral' function. If I understand correctly, he wants to drive a
>printer from the ucSimm. This is equivalent to the USB functionality
>contained in the PC and involves a great deal of software.
>
>I'm sorry I can't be any more helpful than that. :o)
>
>Tom Zagotta

John Provos, Project Engineer
Rice Lake Weighing Systems

The Content of this message and/or attachments is proprietary and
confidential. Please forward any misuse or inadvertant receipt to
Postmaster@rlws.com