RE: [uCsimm] project

From: Stu (doktor1@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 15:07:13 EDT

It takes real work to figure out how to route all the myriad connections
necessary to interconnect a CPU, RAM, ROM, and ethernet on a board the size
of a 30-pin SIMM. Since they're ALREADY giving you free patches (which took
considerable time to develop) to an already-free O/S, why should they make
it any easier for someone to waltz in and take their design and sell it as
though they made it themselves? RT-Control has poured considerable resources
into this project.

I'll tell you what. Go out and design a microcomputer. Pour over $100,000
that you don't have, and have to borrow, into it. Then give all the designs
away for free. Sell units to recoup the enormous debts you've incurred.
Watch some megabucks corporation move in and steal your designs and produce
a PDA or whatever, and not pay you a dime or recognize your efforts when
they do it. Stay in debt for five or ten years. Try to get on with your
life. Once you've done this, feel free to come back and complain.

At least one corporation has used uClinux in a project without delivering
proper credit to RT-Control. Imagine how much easier it would have been for
them if the full hardware designs had been available free of charge.

And here's the kicker: You get the full schematic if you order the uCsimm.
Maybe it doesn't include routing information, but it does tell you what's
going into each pin. That ought to be enough.