Re: [uCsimm] project

From: Phil Wilshire (philw@zentropix.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 09:41:06 EDT

Oh dear another round of outrage and bad language because a small but significant
group of people
have spent most of their sleeping and waking hours over a large number of months to
finally break the
last grip of the Big Companies on our computing world.

Get real guys the uClinux team have produced a product that is as "Open" as they can
and still
derive a revenue stream from it. They have their bills to pay too.

The mmu less kernel patches have been used by others in many places sometimes
without a single
reference to the originators.
Most of us would never have been able to do this. Linus himself deemed it as
"impossible".
All this work was given away for free as in free beer.
Not a single pint of beer was returned to the originators as a thank you let alone a
payment.

The uCsimm CAN be built by yourself from the spec sheets. Go do it.
In 3-4 Months when you finally have all the gerbers and a working system remember
the fate of the
software patches.
If you give all this hard hardware design away watch a major manufacturer walk in
and take all
your hard work claim it for themselves and you are left wondering where the next
loan payment is
coming from.
One outraged individual did this and actually found reality at the end of the day.

You get all this hard work for you to play with for about $250.00 ready to run and
working.
That's open enough for me.

Phil Wilshire