Re: [uCsimm] Perl for uClinux?

From: Anders Jackson (jackson@hig.se)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 11:39:15 EDT

>> No. Not unless you can manage to fit it in 32k. And something
>> tells me that's not going to happen.
>>
>> uClinux is for embedded applications. Perl is not for embedded
>> applications.

    David> Well there was a time that people would have said Linux was
    David> not for embedded applications. I bet there are embedded
    David> systems that use perl out there, I know of a few that use
    David> TCL/TK. I think you are right in saying that perl and the
    David> uCsimm are not a good match. You would do better using c++
    David> or perhaps a small basic. That makes me wonder is there a
    David> small interpreted language that is a good fit for the
    David> uCsimm/uClinux? There are lots of programs that don't need
    David> the speed of C++ and are simpler to write in other
    David> languages.

Take a look at Forth. It has a very small memory foot print.

/Jackson