Re: [uCsimm] LCD Framebuffer

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 00:20:50 EDT

"Carl W. Price" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, I am starting to get things going, and want to
> attach an LCD panel to the board. How do I get info
> to go to the LCD on boot? Are there any example
> programs, or HOWTO on the frame buffer.
>
> Finally, is there an archive of this list that
> I can search before asking.
>
> --Carl
> carl_price@agilent.com

You cannot send the boot text messages (or any other for that matter) to the LCD.
The frame buffer is a direct access mechanism to the video device, in our case it is
a graphical LCD. You would need to write a terminal emulator, or adapt one, that
would emulate a VT100 (or such), then you would have to write your own putch()
routines to "spit" dots onto the LCD so they form up as text charactors. This is
entirely possible to do, there is plenty of source for the VT100 emulator (I have
seen this on the old BBSs'), although ... you would be better off grabbing some of
the code from Micro-X, or such, and adapting the graphical routines to meet your
needs...