RE: [uCsimm] Perl for uClinux? -- mini PY

From: cognite@zianet.com
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 03:33:47 EDT

Here's the address of

----------------
Stackless Python 1.01 + Continuations 0.6 [2000-01-23 18:01]
         A Python implementation which does not use the C stack, plus
continuations as first class objects.
         Python Tools/Extensions
         Binaries: Win32
         http://www.tismer.com/research/stackless/
>From the database of Python programs of the Vaults of Parnassus -- link
at www.python.org to www.vex.net/parnassus (e.g., from its alphabetical
dumplist.py).

There is more than one approach to versions of python with very small
footprints:
---------------------
SMALLEST
small.zip 9,324 bytes -> 26617 for demo for W32 based on imputil.py import
utility, from Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/greg/small . Add your own
libraries style. Has site tailoring, allowing for adjustment to different
os. Only documentation is letters of discussion in python archives. I found
it to work in W32: Has anybody tried it in uCsimm or RTL?

EMBEDDER
Deeply Embedded Python [1999-10-16 05:34]
         Python Tools/Extensions
         http://www.abo.fi/~iporres/python/
         "A minimal version of the Python virtual machine. It is targeted to
small embedded systems where it is necessary a trade-off between language
features and memory footprint of the interpreter. "
The authors add that:
       " With this patch, it is possible to build a python interpreter
WITHOUT support for float, complex and long numbers, file objects, parser,
compiler and depedencies with any operating system.
         It currently runs on the Hitachi SH1 evaluation board, a 32-bit
RISC processor with 256 Kb of RAM and no OS, so it probably runs on
most 32-bit systems with a working GNU Tool Chain. "

-- Since gcc has been ported to the realtime context, there are possibilities.
The patch provided is for 1.5.1, 80k gz ->384k

PALM - HOST
There are some other python utilities for talking to palm devices from
bigger hosts:
o http://pyrite.linuxave.net/pyrite/pyrite.html -- Pyrite is an
extension package for the Python programming language which allows access to
Palm Computing platform devices (such as the popular Pilot, PalmPilot and
PalmIII connected organizers) and their data. Using the pilot-link library,
Pyrite provides a high-level, object-oriented, extensible interface to
handheld-related data, both on the local system and on the device.
              Pyrite is Open Source software; you may use it under the terms
of the GNU Library General Public License, version 2.
              Note: Pyrite used to be called "PalmPython".
o Dan Connolly set up some text-processing utilities to turn Psion
spreadsheet to Quicken .QIF on a bigger host
PyPsion [1999-10-03 01:57]
         Psion (Palmtop computer/PDA) file handling
         O/S Support
         http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Tools/pypsion/

And -- let us know, when your port of python is out, Michael Gorlick!