Re: [uCsimm] Perl for uClinux?

From: Micah Dowty (micah@homesoftware.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 20:12:00 EDT

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> For my (I don't the Phyton, though), the reason for using Perl instead auf
> C/C++ would be the regular expression integrated into the language.

Yes, regular expressions are the BEST part of perl. However they are also
what makes it slow. Perl is a different programming philosophy than C so
the same methods that would make a nice little 10 line tic-tac-toe AI work
fine on my desktop machine would slow my palm pilot memo parser to a crawl
on my 486 laptop. In general its a very powerful but not fast language.
(haven't tried the native code module tho)

> To come to Java - could be interresting - actually java for the palm pilot
> was released by sun - I it's quite fast. Of course the libraries functions
> are only a subset of those available on a pc - but it's java.
>
> greetings, Florian Pflug

Micah Dowty
www.homesoftware.com