Re: [uCsimm] Perl for uClinux?

From: Florian G. Pflug (fgp@fgp.priv.at)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 18:12:12 EDT

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 12:54:56PM -0700, Larry Doolittle wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 11:10:42AM -0700, Stu wrote:
> > > Forget Perl!
> > > Python is the answer for interpreted languages.
> > You want my recommendation for a good scripting language? Port bash or some
> > other real shell. You already need a shell anyway, and one that does
> > Bourne-compatible scripting isn't a bad start at all
>
> No, but it doesn't address needs for applet-style programs,
> where a nice interpreter is called for.
>
> > (waiting for 5,000 flames from rabid PERL enthusiasts)
>
> Hey, I like perl, it "makes the easy things easy, and the
> hard things possible". In many cases, it is a good match
> for the job. For uCLinux, it's a bad match.
>
> Forth would be a useful addition to uCLinux (if it's not there
> already). Java is probably to heavy, but it at least attempts
> to address the issue. Hell, I'd take BASIC over bash for anything
> that could be considered a program (not a script). At least it
> can add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
>
> I don't know about Python, it hasn't made it to the top of my
> to-do list. Would it fit in 32K?

Well.. I don't see what I should do with BASIC, that I can't to with
C/C++...
For my (I don't the Phyton, though), the reason for using Perl instead auf
C/C++ would be the regular expression integrated into the language.

To come to Java - could be interresting - actually java for the palm pilot
was released by sun - I it's quite fast. Of course the libraries functions
are only a subset of those available on a pc - but it's java.

greetings, Florian Pflug