Re: [uCsimm] Perl for uClinux?

From: Larry Doolittle (ldoolitt@recycle.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 15:54:56 EDT

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 11:10:42AM -0700, Stu wrote:
> > Forget Perl!
> > Python is the answer for interpreted languages.
> You want my recommendation for a good scripting language? Port bash or some
> other real shell. You already need a shell anyway, and one that does
> Bourne-compatible scripting isn't a bad start at all

No, but it doesn't address needs for applet-style programs,
where a nice interpreter is called for.

> (waiting for 5,000 flames from rabid PERL enthusiasts)

Hey, I like perl, it "makes the easy things easy, and the
hard things possible". In many cases, it is a good match
for the job. For uCLinux, it's a bad match.

Forth would be a useful addition to uCLinux (if it's not there
already). Java is probably to heavy, but it at least attempts
to address the issue. Hell, I'd take BASIC over bash for anything
that could be considered a program (not a script). At least it
can add, subtract, multiply, and divide.

I don't know about Python, it hasn't made it to the top of my
to-do list. Would it fit in 32K?

How about the core of tcl?
    "It's not a language, it's a tokenizer!" -- Ken Arnold

      - Larry