RE: [uCsimm] Perl for uClinux?

From: Stu (doktor1@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 14:10:42 EDT

> Forget Perl!
>
> Python is the answer for interpreted languages. There is a version that
> doesn't use the stack, although I haven't tried it.
>
> I've written code since the early 1960s in just about every language
> invented. Python is by far the cleanest and most consistent language of
> all. It's very easy to learn the basics, but like C there are tons of
> library functions that one must learn about to write high level programs
> without re-inventing the wheel.
>
> Sorry all you Perl fans, but compared to Python, Perl is a cluttered mess.

I've read a lot of PERL source. I can't say I like it either. There is a
reason why the Debian PERL package describes it as the "Peculiar Eclectic
Rubbish Lister." Too damn many wierd operators - I know lots of programming
languages, and when I come across a new one, it's usually easy to
understand, because once you know 5 or 6 it's all just pseudocode. PERL
isn't as much like that as other languages - sometimes I find myself going
"huh?" when I read through a script.

You want my recommendation for a good scripting language? Port bash or some
other real shell. You already need a shell anyway, and one that does
Bourne-compatible scripting isn't a bad start at all, especially in a system
where tight integration of utilities (to conserve space) is a huge
consideration.

(waiting for 5,000 flames from rabid PERL enthusiasts)