Re: [uCsimm] Perl for uClinux?

From: Damir Kovacic (dkovacic@rasip.fer.hr)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 10:33:22 EDT

> > Hi all
> >
> > Is there a version of Perl or support for running Perl apps under
uClinux?
> > Also what languages have been ported to uClinux?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rodney Arne Karlsen
>
> GNU C and C++ compilers are known to work under uClinux. I don't think
> anyone has ported PERL. Interpretive languages are probably not terribly
> practical, due to the large size of their distributions and their slowness
> of execution, on the uCsimm. On faster uClinux-compatible platforms,
> however, they might be more feasible - 8MB RAM (and a max of 1 or 2MB ROM)
> combined with a <20MHz processor make the uCsimm an unlikely candidate.
> (Unless you want to write a PERL interpreter in assembly. Hey, it worked
for
> BASIC!)

Perl can be stripped to fit in 2MB rom, but major problems are:
perl installation does not support crosscompiling (I am sure it can be done,
but not in a few hours:),
and second is the size of the binary executable. As far as I understand,
there is also limit of 32KB
program size in uClinux.

Damir Kovacic