Re: [uCsimm] Inductors' Issue of Switching Power Supply

From: Xinhua Rong (6cr@263.net)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 05:42:16 EST

>On the subject of Torroidal cores, does anyone know the answer to this? Isn't it possible to increase the inductance by stacking cores and using the same number of turns? Effectively doubling the inductance?
>
>TomW
>

>--
>Tom Walsh - WN3L - Embedded Systems Consultant
>'www.openhardware.net', 'www.cyberiansoftware.com'
>"Windows? No thanks, I have work to do..."

Tom,

Thank you so much for your three replies! In my humble opinion, stacking cores and using the same number of turns will certainly increase the inductance, but I don't think it will double the inductance. You see, when you stack and wind the the same number turns of wire, the total length of wire will increase, but less than double. I think other factors will not change, therefore, I believe the inductance will increase to some extent less than double.

BTW, is WN3L your ham radio callsign? My callsign is BG6CR!

Xinhua Rong, BG6CR
6cr@263.net
Department of Computer Science
Univ. of Sci. & Tech. of China