Re: [uCsimm] Inductors' Issue of Switching Power Supply

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 01:22:50 EST

Xinhua Rong wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am quite new to switching power supply design. I found in the recommended application diagram of MAX series there is one 100uH inductor. I wonder there is any requirement about this component. My current consideration is: big enough current, low loss (high efficiency), high frequency (how high? several MHz?).
>
> If I have to homebrew it, what should I do? Such as, how many turns on Amidon FT-50-47 toroid? Thank you for your help!
>
> Xinhua Rong
> 6cr@263.net
> Department of Computer Science
> Univ. of Sci. & Tech. of China
> Hefei, Anhui, 230027
> China

BTW, when you wind the core, do it in a single layer, don't overlap turns and space them equally around the core when finished winding. You can use Q-Dope to tack the turns down if you wish, I don't recommend "air plane glue" for this, but you can try it. Wax would also work well, it is pretty much as
electrically (magnetically?) inert as Q-Dope.