Re: [uCsimm] UART Hardware flow control.

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 22:24:03 EST

David Williams wrote:

> Tom Walsh wrote:
>
> > Bobby_Lai@acer.com.tw wrote:
> >
> >> As I know, uClinux (linux-2.0.38) verion seems not implement
> >> UART hardware flow control for 68EZ328.
> >>
> >> Does someone implemented it ??
> >> Can I get the patch from somewhere ?
> >>
> >> Or .. beside of specification of 68EZ328 user's manul,
> >> where can I get the program guide for UART hardware flow control
> >> for uClinux ?
> >>
> >> Thank you very much!
> >>
> >> Bobby Lai.
> >>
> >> This message resent by the ucsimm@uclinux.com list server
> >> http://www.uClinux.com/
> >
> > Flow control is a function of the hardware UART, check the users
> > manual for the 68EZ328 and look over the section dealing with the UART
> > for the programming details. There is no software intervention
> > necessary to implement RTS / CTS flow.
> >
> > TomW
>
> Only partially true. If CTS is enabled then the UART will manage this
> for you stopping transmission whenever CTS is negated (HIGH). However to
> get RTS to control flow in to the UART you must manage this yourself in
> software. Ie when buffer gets close to full RTS must be negated (HIGH).
> Remember that the levels mentioned here are at the microprocessor and
> the RS-232 level are inverted (and magnified).
>
> Dave Williams.

I respectfully beg to differ, the manual plainly states in Section 11.1.3 under RTS
that this is can be a hardware function. I have proven this to myself by sending
bytes to the RS232 receiver and monitoring the state of the RTS pin, it will negate
when the receiver becomes nearly full (decoding final fourth fifo byte), when bytes
are removed, it re-asserts RTS. This function is disabled by default and must be
programmed on to enable the automatic negation of RTS.