Re: [uCsimm] GUI code snapshot

From: Micah Dowty (micah@homesoftware.com)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 20:26:26 EST

A difference in goal. I don't want it to be like a 'big computer'
windowing system where each app has its own window, but more modal. Take
a look at divtree.h for a look at the structure. Each layer is a seperate
tree of divnodes (structures for partitioning 2-D space), stored in a
stack. The divnodes are connected in various ways to lay out the
graphics, and the actual graphics are stored in grop-lists
(graphics-operation lists) that are like metafiles.
My main goals are:
        to allow multitasking without sacrificing simplicity
        small and efficient
        client/server
        portable
None of the actual client/server API that real apps will use is
implemented yet, everything you see is stuff that will stay internal to
the server.
TinyX could probably be used for this, but it has things I dont need
(mouse support) and things I _do_ need like a layout engine would need to
be an extra layer of complexity.
Everything so far is implemented in about 1300 lines of C (not including
header files or perl scripts, but including lots of comments)

Micah Dowty
www.homesoftware.com