RE: [uCsimm] Kiwi web pages up

From: John Mitchell (johnm@magnet.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 10:51:04 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Micah Dowty wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Freeman,DI,David,NZD3 R wrote:
>
> > HI,
> >
> > I very much like the look of this device.

so do I!

> > 3. How have you made the keyboard?
>
> No, the one in the prototype is a surplus Dauphin keyboard from
> www.all-electronics.com, the LCD was also purchased surplus from there.
> The LCD works ok, but the fact that it requires +/- 5v is annoying.
> Anybody know of better places to get a keyboard and LCD?

Another suggestion: use a charge pump to generate the +/- 5v. You
probably have a Maxim MAX232 for your serial connection anyway, right?
It has *two* buffers - use one for serial, the other for the LCD.

http://www.questlink.com/
        max232 info (there's bunches of other chips, that just the one
I've heard of most often.)

http://www.phanderson.com/
        sells the MAX232 with the required four caps for $2US

- j