RE: [uCsimm] Kiwi web pages up

From: Stu (doktor1@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 02:41:37 EST

> > 2. Have you looked at the Open hardware project?
> > http://www.openhardware.net/
>
> I hadn't seen that before, but it does look interesting. Bringing the
> hardware out into the open would probably be the best way to make sure it
> is optimally efficient and as inexpensive as possible. I will look in to
> this.

Charlatains, IMHO. They came on the list and whined about how the uCsimm was
not "open hardware." Then they went off on their own to start
openhardware.net. One of them requires you to agree to some complex
licensing agreement which is definitely not anything like the GPL. Then you
can't directly download his stuff, you have to fill in your e-mail address
and he sends it to you. And the other calls his product the "GNUCSimm,"
which is borderline copyright infringement. (RT-Control came up with the
name uCsimm, why can't they think of their own? There is too much
possibility to confuse the products or imagine some sort of collaboration
which does not exist.)

I WILL give them credit for some innovative thinking and design work, but I
would be most cautious in dealing with these two.