RE: [uCsimm] Kiwi web pages up

From: Micah Dowty (micah@homesoftware.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 20:13:31 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Freeman,DI,David,NZD3 R wrote:

> HI,
>
> I very much like the look of this device.
>
> And looking at your site got me thinking.
>
> 1. Why are you going to right your own GUI, why not use microwindows?
> http://www.microwindows.org/

I had considered microwindows, but the main reason I would rather go with
my own GUI is a difference in design paradigm. Instead of displaying
overlaid windows such as on a desktop system, this GUI will be modal, more
like the Palm Pilot's GUI. This will give the application maximum screen
real-estate, make the GUI minimumly confusing, and eliminate the need for
nonrectangular clipping. I have a rather complex idea of how the GUI's
internal structure will be organized, and hopefully I will be turning this
into code within the next few weeks. It will have features like:
        Client/server
        allocation of toolbars on the sides of the screen owned by
different processes
        switching applications to the background for multitasking
        popup dialog boxes / menus
        layout manager

> 2. Have you looked at the Open hardware project?
> http://www.openhardware.net/

I hadn't seen that before, but it does look interesting. Bringing the
hardware out into the open would probably be the best way to make sure it
is optimally efficient and as inexpensive as possible. I will look in to
this.

> 3. How have you made the keyboard?

No, the one in the prototype is a surplus Dauphin keyboard from
www.all-electronics.com, the LCD was also purchased surplus from there.
The LCD works ok, but the fact that it requires +/- 5v is annoying.
Anybody know of better places to get a keyboard and LCD?

> 4. Is there any thing I can do to help?

Supporting the ucLinux project is one thing. There will be a lot more the
community can do to help once I publish schematics of the prototype (after
it is completed) or I get my GUI ideas programmed up. This past weekend I
made the new homesoftware.com, maybe next weekend I will work on the GUI?
The GUI will have seperate hardware-specific backends, so to debug an
application it could be compiled for a desktop computer, then switch to a
cross-compiler and make a Kiwi version.

> 5. Will you release the schematics etc.. under something such as the
> GPL(hardware equivalent)?

I am interested in openhardware.net, and I'm sure the schematics would be
released if I make them open hardware. The hardware isn't very
complicated, but there are so many small problems that have to be sorted
out. For example, I wasted about 2 weekends trying to debug a problem in
my Flash memory that was caused by insufficient decoupling capacitors.
And because of a missing resistor, I fried the PLL on my first CPU.
Luckily the CPUs are free samples :)

Micah Dowty
www.homesoftware.com