RE: [uCsimm] For exact date

From: Stu (doktor1@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 02:46:32 EST

This may be stating the obvious, but it does bear stating... For purposes of
normal uClinux and especially RTLinux, it might be useful to build a more
accurate high-res timer circuit and have it take one of the SIMM's IO pins
high once per a set interval (say, 1 second, 1 minute, 5 minutes, whatever
suits the application the SIMM is being used for). The kernel could catch
this and compare it against the system clock, correcting for drift. I can't
imagine such a circuit would cost very much, and it would almost certainly
fit on even a small portion of the gardener breadboard.

Of course, NTP is better than this, but obviously there are some
applications where no network connectivity or limited network connectivity
would be available.