Re: [uCsimm] Fifos in Frank example

From: Stuart Hughes (sehughes@zentropix.com)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 09:52:08 EST

OEM industrialisation wrote:

> Hi Kwonsk,
>
> thank you for your help in my fifo creation problems.
> First it worked very well with the major 63.
>
> But I have encountered a problem with the major 150.
> Your patch doesn't modify the MAX_CHRDEV and
> the MAX_BLKDEV in major.h
> I think it should be higgher than 128.
>
> I tried 255 and it seems to work like before.
>
> Maybe it could be useful to put it in your patch3,
> for people who starts in linux like me.
>
> Thank you for your work, and thanks to Stuart too,
>
> Freddy

Hi Guys,

It's probably okay to stick with major number 63. We found it
conflicted with kdebug (a mechanism for debugging kerneld) try:
/sbin/modprobe -c and thats why it got changed. In practice this is
(kdebug) hardly ever used so it is probably not a real problem. I only
pointed it out as later releases of RTL/RTAI (Linux 2.2) have
standardised on major number 150 and so it could be confusing if you
were to try out the later x86 stuff.

Regards, Stuart