Re: [uCsimm] Dev dir dups.

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 22:39:40 EST

Donald J Dionne wrote:

> > I know that this was mentioned before, but I don't believe anything was
> > resolved regarding the duplicate devices in the /dev dir of the romfs.
>
> Really? I'll have a look and see what is going on.
>
> > I found that if I removed the symbolic link "\@dev" to the
> > /opt/uClinux/dev directory, then did a "mkdir dev" and run a script to
> > do a series of mknod s to rebuild the contents of the dev dir, then
> > the 'ls /dev' duplicates disappear.
>
> Yeah, that's possible. I may sill have a bug in genromfs.

    I think that there is a bug there in genromfs as the Duplicates in the romfs
disappeared when I took the approach I outlined.

> Yes, of course it's needed :-) You can't make device nodes as a normal user
> since that is a major security hole. If you're actually able to use mknod
> to populate a dev directory, you're running as root, and that's a real big
> no no. I designed the current uClinux build system to be useful while
> running as a normal user (very important).

    Understood, you wished to avoid a user from clobbering their system, right?
Well, shame on me, I am a religious zealot when it comes to DAT tape! ;^)

Tom Walsh - WN3L - Embedded Systems Consultant - tom over_at mytoys(.)com
'www.mytoys.com', 'www.openhardware.net', 'www.cyberiansoftware.com'