Re: [uCsimm] Dev dir dups.

From: Donald J Dionne (jdionne@ns1.rt-control.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 20:10:32 EST

> I know that this was mentioned before, but I don't believe anything was
> resolved regarding the duplicate devices in the /dev dir of the romfs.

Really? I'll have a look and see what is going on.

> I found that if I removed the symbolic link "\@dev" to the
> /opt/uClinux/dev directory, then did a "mkdir dev" and run a script to
> do a series of mknod s to rebuild the contents of the dev dir, then
> the 'ls /dev' duplicates disappear.

Yeah, that's possible. I may sill have a bug in genromfs.

> The code seems to run fine by doing it this way... Anyone know why the
> '\@dev' approach was taken? Is that name needed somehow, somewhere? I
> am placing the script on

Yes, of course it's needed :-) You can't make device nodes as a normal user
since that is a major security hole. If you're actually able to use mknod
to populate a dev directory, you're running as root, and that's a real big
no no. I designed the current uClinux build system to be useful while
running as a normal user (very important).

I'll have a look at the genromfs code and see what's going on...

Jeff.