[uCsimm] Re: [UCLINUX] proxy arp seems broken to me

From: Bjorn Wesen (bjorn.wesen@axis.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 09:15:10 EST

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, elijah wright wrote:
> Do the other machines in the network have a route to the device? if "all
> systems are on the same subnet (taking that to include the embedded
> system)" it should NOT work. you'll need a static route to the embedded
> system's IP address either from the defaultrouter of the local network or

no - the whole point with proxy arp is that you don't need routes set-up
for the proxied hosts. the host with the proxy arp entry will answer arp
queries on behalf of the hosts "on the other side" (like on a ppp link)

as long as the hosts are on the same subnet, it should work (because arp
queries are local) as long as the IP addressing is consequent.

as to if it works in uClinux - yes it does (why shouldn't it ? :) but you
should of course remember that you need the "IP Forwarding" kernel option
enabled in 'make menuconfig' to actually make linux bridge packets between
the proxied hosts and the ethernet. maybe you forgot that ?

also check /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward (by catting it) it should be 1.
otherwise you do 'echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' to enable it, but
in my own setups, it has always been 1 by default..

i think this is in the Documentation/networking docs as well.

-bjorn