[uCsimm] Re: [UCLINUX] proxy arp seems broken to me

From: elijah wright (elw@dns1.stderr.org)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 13:10:39 EST

> workstation doesn't respond when others try to ping the embedded system. I
> can telnet to the workstation and from there telnet to the embedded system
> but can't access the embedded system directly from another host on the
> lan. The
> workstation is running redhat 6.1 and all systems are on the same subnet.
> Would someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Do the other machines in the network have a route to the device? if "all
systems are on the same subnet (taking that to include the embedded
system)" it should NOT work. you'll need a static route to the embedded
system's IP address either from the defaultrouter of the local network or
on every host from which you want to connect. basically, you need to tell
all the machines that your workstation connected to the embedded system is
a gateway to that IP address.

this is deliciously offtopic but useful for people to know

elijah