[uCsimm] [UCLINUX] Why linux-2.0.38, low-latency patches?

From: Brad Dixon (brad.dixon@gtri.gatech.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 08:08:52 EST

Hello:

Thanks go out to all of the hard work that has been done on ucLinux. I
booted an M5206 eLITE board from cold start to prompt in 4 hours of
effort/learning.

I've searched for this in the FAQ's I could find to no avail:

Why has ucLinux never been moved beyond the 2.0.38 kernel? Are there
advantages to 2.0.38 that make it a better candidate then 2.2.x kernels?
Are there constraints that would preclude operation on a 2.2.x series
kernel?

I'm pretty happy so far with what I've seen with ucLinux. The RTL work
I've been reading about is great -- once I nail down the timing
requirements I may have to look at using RTL patches on ucLinux. I'm just
concerned that at some point in the future I may want the features of a
more modern kernel. Right now, though, I'm very pleased with 2.0.38.

Thanks,

Brad

--
Brad Dixon <brad.dixon@gtri.gatech.edu>
- Electronic Systems Laboratory, Systems Engineering Division