Re: [uCsimm] Question on soldering BGA's (ELAN)

From: Tom Walsh (tom@cyberiansoftware.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 00:50:49 EST

Ben Greear wrote:

> Please excuse the off-topicness...
>
> We're having trouble getting our prototype board soldered together,
> mainly because of an ELAN CPU from AMD (it's a BGA with something like
> 380 balls on it.)
>
> Does anyone know of some place we can pay to get them to solder just
> that one chip on the board (and maybe the whole board after we get
> the prototype working..?) Aside from that, any tricks or hints that may
> give us a chance of doing it ourselves?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com) http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear
> Author of ScryMUD: scry.wanfear.com 4444 (Released under GPL)
> http://scry.wanfear.com

Just a thought, I would also like to hear some input on this topic as well! I view
the BGA as the greatest threat to small / mid size companies being able to innovate
new designs that has been thought of in years. Talk about "raising the bar" to
entering the arena, this is definately it!

Tom Walsh - WN3L - Embedded Systems Consultant - tom over_at mytoys(.)com
'www.mytoys.com', 'www.openhardware.net', 'www.cyberiansoftware.com'