Re: [uCsimm] miniLinux and Announcing an Industrial I/O board for uCsimm

From: Sam Saprunoff (sams2@telusplanet.net)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 13:45:52 EST

Hi Tony and the list!

In regards to your first question...
> (Exactly what can I do with a uCsimm?)

Further, I hope I am not over-stepping the bounds for this list with a
(shameless) plug...

What can you do with a uCsimm?

Well, this can be endless, but I have one example which I am in the final
stages of alpha-testing. I have designed an industrial grade Input/Output
board that accepts the uCSimm as the primary controller. This board has a
few variations (depending upon what is populated), but in essence it has the
following features:

    1. Max 24 optically isolated digital inputs. (Industrial pluggable
connectors)
    2. Max 6 relay form C outputs with relay capabilities of switching
125VAC at 10 Amps (Industrial pluggable connectors)
    3. Ethernet connector for uCSimm (RJ-45 Vert or Horizontal Mount)
    4. RS-232 Serial connector (RJ-11 Vert or Horz mount)
    5. Proprietary Current-Loop Serial Interface
    6. X-10 Interface (Connects to a PL523 X-10 Line interface device for
home control)
    7. Dallas Semiconductor IButton Interface
    8. Dallas DS1820 temperature monitor (measures room temp, etc)
    9. Dallas DS1302 Real-Time Clock with battery-backup
    10. Two (2) vertical 72 pin SIMM Expansion slots for future or custom
hardware.
    11. AC/DC Voltage Input (16VDC <= Vin DC <= 35VDC or 16VAC <= Vin AC <=
20VAC) Preliminary.
          Voltage supplies are small switch-mode type for low radiated heat
and high efficiency.
    12. Approx. board size is 4.80" by 8.92" in a DIN-rail mountable
enclosure.
    13. Power supplies available on the board are +5, +3.3, and +12

The board is designed such that there is a slave controller on the board
(Motorola HC912 with Flash programming interface and background debug mode
BDM). Thus, the HC912 handles the processing of the peripherals leaving the
host controller (uCsimm) from doing the basic bit-twiddling. Further, the
Flash EEPROM of the HC912 can be changed or customized at any time using the
BDM.

The board can be operated stand-alone or can be controlled via the uCSimm
(or other controller) via the SPI (serial peripheral interface).

Initially I designed the board for a project (current), but I wanted
something to use the uCsimm for other than direct Internet stuff. So... I
decided to add more features to this board to allow for a variety of uses...
Industrial control using the uCsimm or for my immediate use... an incredible
Home Security/Control system that is internet aware.

Since I am relatively new to Linux, embedded Linux, and the uCsimm, I needed
a project (application) which would allow me to learn and explore these
technologies.

If anyone else is interested in the board, let me know as I could
potentially make it available to all those interested. However, since this
was designed to be industrial grade, some of the parts used are a little
pricey...
    For example:
    1. the 24 Input industrial pluggable connectors (12 in total) cost
about $48 CAN in total. One could use non-pluggable connectors which are
            cheaper...
    2. Switch-mode power supplies (2) are about $20 CAN each... However one
can use linear supplies which are cheap (about $1 each), but one must deal
with the heat generated (heat sink) and reduced input voltage levels.
    etc.

I hope this answered your question (and then some... my apologies!)

Best regards,

Sam

Sam Saprunoff
sams2@telusplanet.net