[uCsimm] RT for uClinux

From: 권석근 (kwonsk@mutech.co.kr)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 23:34:24 EST

Hi, all.
this is kwonsk.

I'm happy to introduce my Real Time port to uClinux.
Sometimes ago Real Time support request was planty in this mailing list.
But actully I didn't see any real anouncement of RT support.
I used RTlinux for i386 about a year for 2 axis motion control (source from
EMC)
and when i got my uCsimm i realy want to see RT support for this
lovely thing.
About a few weeks ago, Bernhard Kuhn posted his RTEC v0.4 in this mailing
list. And I was very excited for hearing that. But after patching RTEC to
uClinux
and testing on uCsimm, I realized that it didn't works correctly in real
hardware.
I've tested port toggling task with RTEC and i counld not see expeced wave
form on
my oscilloscope. So, i just waited another posting from Bernhard Kuhn.
But Bernhard Kuhn said, in his mail, that RTEC v0.4 is his final release
becase
hi didn't want to re-invent wheel. Does this mean that some official RT
porting
is progressing? or waiting final API setup after RTL conference at vienna?
But i coudn't wating, i'm a silly person who cannot wait yet unknown future
event.
Therefore i've hacked uClinux based on Burnhard Kuhn's great job.
After Some hard work and surveying papers from RTL site, i decided that
i must start from basics. and i've wrote codes from scratch based on
original sti/cli emulation scheme from RTL. And got result what i wanted.
My porting is based on RTL release 9J (it's for 2.0.36), and have almost no
differences
from original code except hardware specific sti/cil emulateion code in
entry.S
RT-fifo, RT-scheduler is the same with RTL release 9J and as you geuss
RT interface routine is exactly that of RTL realease 9J.

I'm now seeing two rectagular waves on my oscilloscope and it's beautiful.
one has 4 msec interval and another has 5 msec interval. Drift is about
<100usec
And this wave is running about 24 hours and keeps going.
I tryed 'ping -f 192.168.1.200' (this ping flood test will almost hang
uCsimm with normal
uClinux) and wave does not change. Yah, it works!
and tested frank example (an example in the examples directory of RTL
release9J which
test ft-fifo with one control rt-task and two periodic task) and it works
too!

I'm preparing my patch for uClinux 2.0.38, and all of you could see it
within a week.

BTW, May RTL from rtlinux.cs.nmt.edu be changed to have another interface
(API)?
and that's the reason what Burnhard Kuhn thought? If that's true, then
i'm silly for this temporary job.

Thanks.
Kwon Seok Kuon. kwonsk@mutech.co.kr