Re: [uCsimm] Are the uCsimm I/O pins 5V Tolerant?

From: John Ananny (ananny@interval.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 16:15:31 EST

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few months on this list, but would like to contribute my $0.02 to this 5V-tolerance discussion.

I don't have the data sheets in front of me, but I'm 98% confident that the EZ's inputs are clamped to the rail with an input protection diode.  That means that you'll have two conflicting drives on the pin.  The diode wants to keep the input pin no higher than one forward diode drop above the EZ's supply rail, but whatever output is driving the input wants to keep the input pin at 5V.

This is bad.

At the very best, you get a valid logic high and nothing overheats at steady-state.  At the worst, a wirebond somewhere gives because of heating due to overcurrent, either at the input protection diode or in the output drive of the previous stage.  In any case, you squander power because of the overcurrent condition.

IMHO, absolute maximum specs aren't good design targets.

A simple option for prototyping is to use 5V LS buffers.  The output high of a 5V LS device is only actively driven to approximately 3.5V, so have your 5V HC device drive a 5V LS device, and have the 5V LS device drive the 3.3V HC inputs to the EZ.  In the other direction, it's not quite so clean, as you need a pullup on the output of the LS buffer to get it all the way up to a valid input high for the 5V HC.  This does give you an opportunity to make a response time/power efficiency tradeoff in your design.  For a production device, adding LS buffers likely wouldn't be cost-effective, but it does the trick for a quick prototype.

Horowitz and Hill (2nd ed.) section 9.03 has further details on interfacing logic families and levels.

Best regards,

John Ananny