Re: [uCsimm] uCsimm, MB and CD for sale

From: Jim Richardson (warlock@eskimo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 18:08:42 EST

On 15-Jan-2000 Donald J Dionne wrote:

> Next run is scheduled to ship end Feb. We've not lost anyone's order...
> we'll let you know of any delays that crop up (we don't expect any).
>
> The bottleneck, in case anyone was wondering, was 3 fold.
>
> 1, CrystalLan CS8900 ethernet chips are in short supply. They first
> underestimated demand, then they botched a run, then they changed fab
> lines, then they fixed a race condition in the EEPROM logic. We have
> some now and are firmly in the queue for 2nd week Feb.
>
> 2, The board was refined for ease of automated assembly.
>
> 3, MAXIM had problems delivering the RS232 line driver chips. We had
> to use a different chip (another small change to the board).

Maxim has a real problem meeting ship dates, we have a big problem with them
all the time with their dc-dc converters and 232 chips. On the plus side, they
are good designs and they are happy to sample a couple to you if you ask. They
just seem to have trouble shipping production numbers on time :)

Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
WWW.eskimo.com/~warlock