Re: [uCsimm] G-Kermit

From: Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 14:29:53 EST

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Greg Ingram wrote:

> I don't know if Gerald was looking for volunteer compilers or he was
> suggesting that G-Kermit might be suitable for uClinux. Regardless, I
> built the Linux/m68k binaries for Columbia and it looks like G-Kermit
> could fit within the limitations of the PIC compiler.
>
> $ size gkermit
> text data bss dec hex filename
> 24509 2904 40374 67787 108cb gkermit
>
> So .text is okay. Is it .data + .bss < 32K or 64K? I haven't looked at
> the code much, but I imagine .bss could be trimmed. Or maybe those 32-bit
> compiler patches would fix any problems.

 data + bss < 32K, unfortunately. (Though a little bit of compiler work
would make the 64K.) But I'd take a good look at G-Kermit and see if
anything can be stripped out. It took some work to get telnetd and pppd to
fit, but both of them had enough unnecessary code or over-large buffers
that could be trimmed.