Re: [uCsimm] RT and uClinux

From: Bernhard Kuhn (kuhn@batian.lpr.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 11:59:45 EST

> iMax Tech Engineering wrote:

> I just like to raise a question of, if our company going to do some
> product with uClinux, what should do with RT-control? Are we needed to give
> royalty or something if we claim on the product that we're using Linux/uClinux
> as OS?

In gerneral: NO!

But you have to take several things into account:

1. You might save some development time when purchasing the uClinux-CD
   (incl. printed docs?) from RT-Control, just like buying a Linux-Distribution
   (SuSE, RedHat) instead of collecting everything from the web on your own :-)

2. The kernel-stuff is licensed under there terms of GPL (General Public
Licence).
   In short words, that means:

   o you are not allowed to remove copyright notices in the source-files
     (on the other hand, you are obligated to add copyright notices,
     if you enhance or add new features)

   o changes to the source-files made by you have to be given out
     on request (except if you are using the modified version inhouse, only)

3. The existent user-space stuff is also GPLed, having the same constraints
   as in 2.

4. For newly added files in user-space, you can choose a licence on you own,
   since the underlaying libraries are falling under LGPL (called "Lesser" or
   "Library" GPL) - but you will do yourself a favor, when also choosing GPL!
   But that isn't allways posible, i.e. if you have bought Interlectual Property
   (i realy dislike that word) from another company not exclusivly.

Comments?

Bernhard