Re: [uCsimm] Digital Cam...

From: Geoffrey Wossum (gpw0341@omega.uta.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 11:16:36 EST

> > GPL 3.b says:
> >
> > b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
> > years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
> > cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
> > machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
> > distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
> > customarily used for software interchange; or,
> >
> > Doesn't that mean that as soon as Axim sells their camera,
> > they have to provide the source to everyone who requests it
> > (even if he didn't buy anything)?
>
> No.
>
> It means that anyone that posesses a copy of the written offer may
> request a copy of the source code.

At the start of section 3 it says:

---
  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
---

Section 3.a. states:

--- a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; ---

It could be argued that only people who bought one of these gizmos would be entitled to the source from Axis. Although any one who receives the source from Axis may redistribute it, so Axis might as well give it to everyone.

So it is possible no written offers exist, plus the written offers would only have to be distributed to those who purchase the gizmo. Now the people who receive the written offers can do anything they want them, but only those purchasing the gizmo would get a written offer direct from Axis.

After saying all of this, I must voice my opinion that Axis should just go ahead and give the community their diffs back without having to purchase one of their gizmos.

Perhaps a nice, civil, email petition?

--- Geoffrey Wossum gwossum@acm.org Project AKO - http://rover1.uta.edu/~ako Internet Imperialists - http://inetimperial.sourceforge.net This message resent by the ucsimm@uclinux.com list server http://www.uClinux.com/