Re: [uCsimm] Kernel module support

From: Stuart Hughes (
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 11:23:55 EST

Hi Keith,

Please find attached the patch to allow the uClinux kernel (for the
uCsimm module) to run in RAM using the rx -> upload -> goram sequence.

How to use the patch

The patch should be applied to Linux kernel as distributed on the
uClinux CD (system builder kit version 1999-09-13)

1/ Preserve your original linux tree

cd /opt/uClinux
mv linux linux-clean
mkdir linux-ram
cp -a linux-clean linux-ram/*
ln -s linux-ram linux

2/ Apply the patch (assume it is saved in /opt/uClinux)

cd linux
patch -p1 < ../ucsimm_ram_patch_1

3/ Build the kernel

make mrproper
make menuconfig (make sure you select the CONFIG_UCSIMM and the
make dep; make clean; make linux.bin

4/ In your uClinux development directory (the one you use to build
image.bin), edit romdisk/etc/inittab to change the baud rate to 115200.
You will need to put this back if you rebuild without the

ttyS0:vt100:/sbin/agetty 115200 ttyS0
ttyS0:vt100:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0

5/ Build an image.bin

6/ Upload to the uCsimm (assume talking to simm via ttyS0 and minicom)
on uCsimm: fast
on host: CTRL-a o (change the baud rate to 115200)
on ucSimm: <enter> (you should see the B$ prompt again)
on host: CTRL-a s (select xmodem transfer and select image.bin)

7/ Once the download complete, issue the goram command at the B$ prompt,
the system should boot out of RAM as normal (but at 115200 baud).

NOTES: I have reserved 500000 bytes for the ROMFS after the data
segment, but before the bss, it the size of the ROMFS exceeds this, the
end of the ROMFS will get trucated by the bss (I wasn't sure if the
ROMFS build was compressed or not ???)

Hope this helps

Regards, Stuart

Tel: +44 (0)1273 234 647	 Fax: +44 (0)1273 704 482

Visit for Real Time Linux

This message resent by the list server