Re: [uCsimm] please: help me solve the uCLinux dilemma

From: phil wilshire (philwil@on-ramp.ior.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 09:50:03 EST

Hi,
In my mind this is exactly what the ucSimm was designed for.
I do not know the timescale or budget for this project.
Given your design skills I would think about the following options.

1.. If you are happy using the serial bus for peripherals then
    use this to connect a/d d/a to the ucSimm.
2.. If not then use a PIC and have a simple serial connection to the
ucSimm.
3.. Real time patches may be required .. They are in progress.
4.. Programming in Linux is not too bad The Manual from the ucSImm guys
is great.

There are more comments in line. Some brutal. Dont take it personnally.

Enrico Migliore wrote:

> dear friend
>
> sorry to bother you, I imagine you are pretty busy but if you
> could give me some suggestion I would be thankful to you for life.
>
> I'm a design engineer and work as an independent consultant for
> some Italian firms, I design electronics systems: from PCB to
> to embedded application. I'have worked on Hitachi H8 an Motorola
> HC912 and some Microchip.
> Right now I'm called to design an embedded web server that should
> publish on demand some internal parameters of CNC machines, on the
> Internet.
> Here's my dilemma: should I stick with usual uController solution or
> focus my attention
> on ucLinux project?
> In words: what would be the best investment in terms of time:
>
> 1. Jump in the project
> 2. Follow the usual way: pick up a ucontroller, buy the TCP/IP stack,
> maybe an RTOS
> develop the embedded application with an emulator
>
> /******* Advantages of uCLinux *********/
> 1. Enter the world of Linux
> 2. Use POSIX compliant file system et cetera
> 3. Use pre-tested TCP/IP stack software
> 4. Definitive choice for new embedded design
You will have a start on an exciting journey I firmly believe the
Embedded future lies with Linux.
..

> /******** Disadvantages of uCLinux ********/
> 1. Scarse LINUX internal functions documentation
Rubbish join the right mailing lists and watch.
Look at numerous Linux Kernel design and device driver books.
Plus you have all the source !!!!

> 2. uCLinux project is still under development
And , hopefully, always will be.

> 3. No official support of ucLinux
Rubbish what does RT-Control do....

> 4. No realtime management of events, as far as I know.
True but it's only a matter of weeks away.

> /******** Advantages of ucontroller **********/
> 1. Faster than uCLinux, at least for me, because I don't know much of
> Linux from the
> point of view of the developer. So, I'll have to invest some time in
> learning Linux internals
Yes but not much..Every thing makes sense you are used to
1/ do it yourself.
2/ Closed secret systems.
   In both cases the design time is X10 to X100 .
   If you have the source and the help from mailing lists you can get up
to speed
   real fast.

> 2. lower cost solution and smaller footprint on PCB
IN the Short term lower cost only.. See above

> 3. pre-tested TCP/IP stack software
ucLinux is pre tested ...
does this closed source tcp/ip stack contain bugs or exploit potential
???

> 4. Official support
RT Control provide support

> 5. Realtime
Got me there... for now...

> /****** disadvantages of ucontroller ********/
> 1. it's a custom application: no standard to adhere to when developing
> embedded software
A big company has made a lot of money this way.

> 2. I have to buy TCP/IP/PPP because don't trust "homemade" solution
Wise man...

> 3. I have never used gcc, yet I like windows-based cross C compilers.
Gcc is a dream get off the Windows "spoon fed trough" and take the
plunge.

> Last: how long would it take to a typical design engineer with deep
> knowledge of C
> and embedded software developent, to get feeling with Linux?
One pass through the manual should get you started.
The issue is .. are you willing to post a host of seemingly dumb
questions on the mailing lists.
As long as you read the answers and learn then the group is more than
willing to help.

This is the best way to learn.
If you want to run faster and have a budget enter a small contract with
RT Control and
use that as a fast track way in.

Hope this helps
  Phil Wilshire